Skip to main content

Zephyr

Mary Chapin Carpenter

I don't know nothing, nothing today
Whether to leave or to stay
'Cause underneath sorrow, underneath fear
There's nothing that's keeping me here
'Cause I'm a zephyr on the inside
And it's a hard ride when you feel yourself tied down
Hide-and-earth bound
But there's no tether, on a zephyr
I tried to be constant just like a star
I tried to be steady and yar
But the storms keep breaking over my head
I'm aching for blue skies instead
'Cause I'm a zephyr on the inside
And it's a hard ride when you feel your heart tied down
Hide-and-earth bound
But there's no tether
I'm a zephyr
All of the wings I've ridden back home to you
All the things I've given I've wanted to
All that you see has always belonged to you
Except for the wind:
Forever and after, that's if we're charmed
You've got to hold on with more than these arms
Because love is all there is and time is just sand
And I might just slip through your hands
'Cause I'm a zephyr on the inside
And it's a hard ride when you feel your life tied down
Hide-and-earth bound but there's no tether
I'm a zephyr on the inside
And it's a hard ride when you feel yourself tied down
Hide-and-earth bound but there's no tether
On a zephyr

Popular posts from this blog

Travelling Words

Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler’s heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.Sonder (v.): the realization that each random passer-by is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.Solivagant (adj.): wandering alone; (n.) a solitary wanderer.Wanderlust (n.): a strong, innate, impulse or desire to travel the world...Fernweh (n.): “distance-sickness”Coddiwomple (v.): to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.

To Much Sorrow

On Death
Than Almitra spoke, saying, "We would ask now of Death."
And he said:
You would know the secret of death.
But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?
The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light.
If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life.

I Am Grumpy and Mean... Leave Me Alone

I have landed in Atlanta and managed to get through the city without to many profanities.

Before I left I was thrilled beyond words to receive Mark Grist's book of poetry plus I found the book "The Best of Edward Abbey."  I was prepared for a great flight.  I had two great books, a movie on my computer.  My goal was to find my seat, get my computer and books out, get comfy, and order a cold expensive beer when the cart came around. 

I ended sitting by two unattended children.  When they came on board and sat down next to me...  I immediately put on my grumpy mean old lady face,

It didn't faze the little girl. 

Her brother was entertained by his iPad and the little girl would have been entertained by hers if she hadn't dropped it in the bathtub.  Her cell phone went through the wash.  She just chattered away. About visiting her mom in Atlanta and her baby brother who was mean to her and my grumpy mean old lady face eventually melted into quiet resignation.  I h…